The Reparations resolution document
The Buncombe County Commissioners
Some suggestions for points to make in your postcards:
* THANK YOU for supporting the work of the Community Reparations Commission
* THANK YOU for approving the Commission's request for an ongoing funding commitment
* Buncombe County is what it is today because of resources extracted from its Black citizens, whose lives have been negatively impacted by decades of exploitation of labor, failures of the educational system, bias of law enforcement, gentrification, and tax inequality.
* As a white resident of Buncombe County, I acknowledge and support the need for reparations to compensate at least in part for the debt owed to our Black citizens.
* As a white homeowner in Buncombe County, I support the use of my tax dollars to provide reparations to compensate at least in part for the debt owed to our Black citizens.